Reviewed by Dr. Alan Baughman, DMD, MBA
At Clearwater Dentistry Greeley, we strive to provide our patients with comprehensive dental care, ensuring they understand the various treatment options available to them. In this post, we will delve deeper into four common dental treatments: tooth extractions, root canals, crowns and bridges, and dental implants.
Table of Contents
- Tooth Extractions
- Root Canals
- Crowns and Bridges
- Dental Implants
- Trust the Experts at Clearwater Dentistry
Tooth extractions are the process of removing a tooth or teeth from your mouth. There are two main types of extractions: simple and surgical.
- Simple extractions – This procedure involves removing a tooth that is visible and accessible above the gum line. The dentist will use special instruments to loosen and remove the tooth gently.
- Surgical extractions – This method is used when a tooth is not easily accessible, as in the case of impacted wisdom teeth, teeth broken at or below the gum line, root canaled teeth, or teeth with multiple roots. An oral surgeon or experienced dentist can remove a tooth by making a small incision in the gum and extracting it.
Dentists may recommend tooth extraction for various reasons, such as severe tooth decay, infection, or impacted wisdom teeth that cause pain or misalignment.
A root canal is a dental treatment necessary when the tooth’s pulp becomes infected or inflamed. The pulp is living tissue inside the tooth, made up of blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissue. It is found in the inner chamber of the tooth. While damage or decay can threaten the pulp, a root canal can save the tooth from extraction.
During a root canal, the dentist removes the affected pulp, cleans and disinfects the inner chamber, and then fills and seals the tooth with an inert, rubber-like material. Finally, to restore structural stability, a dental crown is placed over the tooth. Root canal treatment can alleviate toothache and tenderness, eliminating the need for extraction in many cases.
Crowns and Bridges
Crowns and bridges are dental prosthetic devices designed to restore the function and appearance of damaged or missing teeth.
- Crowns – A dental crown is a custom-made cap placed over a damaged tooth to protect and strengthen the tooth. Crowns are typically made from porcelain, metal, or a combination of both, and they mimic the shape, color, and function of a natural tooth.
- Bridges – A dental bridge consists of one or more false teeth (pontics) that fill the space left by one or more missing teeth. The pontics are anchored to neighboring healthy teeth, creating a bridge between the empty space. Dental bridges can be made from materials like porcelain, ceramic, or alloys.
Both crowns and bridges can restore your smile’s appearance and functionality, preventing issues like tooth misalignment or difficulty chewing. At Clearwater Dentistry, we offer CEREC same-day crowns that can be placed in just one visit. For more information about CEREC technology, read Dental Technology.
Dental implants provide a long-lasting solution to missing teeth. Implants consist of a titanium post, which is surgically placed into the jawbone, acting as an artificial root. A connector (abutment) and custom dental crown are then attached to the post, resulting in a functional and natural-looking tooth replacement.
Implants have several advantages over other tooth replacement options, such as
- Improved comfort
- Preservation of jawbone health
- Natural look and feel
- Improved cleansibility and hygiene
- One tooth solution to a one tooth problem
Trust the Experts at Clearwater Dentistry
At Clearwater Dentistry Greeley, we are committed to helping you achieve and maintain optimum oral health. Our team of experienced professionals is ready to guide you through the various dental procedures and answer any questions.
If you are searching for the best dentist in Greeley, or a dentist near me, you can trust the experienced team at Clearwater Dentistry Greeley.
Our state-of-the-art office uses the latest technology and advanced techniques to provide our patients with the highest level of care possible. We understand that going to the dentist can be a stressful experience, so we strive to make every visit comfortable and relaxing.
Whether it’s a routine cleaning or a complex procedure, Dr. Alan Baughman and his team can help you achieve your dental goals. Contact us today to learn more about the comprehensive services we offer at Clearwater Dentistry Greeley. Call (970) 515-3550 to book an appointment or complete the online booking form.
We look forward to helping you on your journey towards a healthier, brighter smile!